The STRABAG Artaward is an award for the support of art for artists of up to 40 years in the fields of painting and drawing, which terms are freely reinterpreted for the contemporary art landscape. It has been awarded in Austria since 1994 and internationally since 2009.
Conditions of participation:
- Eligible to take part are artists from Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Austria.
- Participants must be citizens of one of these five countries or must have been permanently based in one of these countries for at least two years.
- Participants of the STRABAG Artaward International must be born in or after the year 1981.
- All participants must have a degree in higher artistic studies (art academies, art colleges or universities).
- All participants accept the findings of the jury. Any recourse to legal action is excluded.
- Every participant is the copyright holder. The submitted works of art will remain the property of the participant.
- The participants agree that in connection with STRABAG Artaward International his/her submitted works of art may be presented, photographed, printed and published online – unlimited and free-of-charge.
- Submitted works of art must not have been awarded any further public art prize and must be owned by the participant.
- The participants are responsible for the accuracy of their information. Due to wrong statements, STRABAG Kunstforum may refrain from awarding the prize.
The jury members of STRABAG Artaward International 2021 are art experts from the participating countries:
Vladimír Beskid, Director, Ján Koniarek Galerie, Trnava/SK
Roman Grabner, Curator, Universalmuseum Joanneum, Graz/AT
Vít Havránek, Vice-Rector for International Relations, Academy of Fine Arts, Prague/CZ
Edith Raidl, Art Collector, Vienna/AT
Anda Rottenberg, Art Critic and Art Historian, Warsaw/PL
Hajnalka Somogyi, Head, OFF-Biennale, Budapest/HU
Tanja Skorepa, Head, STRABAG Kunstforum, Vienna/AT
Wilhelm Weiß, Director, STRABAG Kunstforum, Vienna/AT
- A main prize of € 15.000,- and four recognition prizes of € 5.000,- each will be awarded. In addidion, art works of the winners might be purchased for STRABAG Artcollection.
- After the award ceremony and the collective exhibition of all the prize-winning works, each of the five laureates will have a solo exhibition at STRABAG Artlounge in Vienna.
- The laureates can apply for the artist-in-residence-programme at STRABAG Artstudio in Vienna.
All participants must apply online at www.strabag-kunstforum.at from 18 January till 5 February 2021. The application form must be filled in correctly in German or English (guidance on the website). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Eligible in the fields of painting and drawing are three works of art (one or multiple parts), which are essential for the jury’s decision.
Short biography / list of exhibitions / portrait photo / photos (RGB, jpg) of three works of art intended to enter the competition, dated between 2019 and 2021, with title, year, technique, dimensions, insurance value and photo credits stated / short statement about the submitted artworks
Each work of art must not exceed the dimensions of 2.00 x 2.40 meters and must be easily transportable.
There are no thematic specifications.
Based on the submissions online, the jury makes a selection for the final jury session. From 29 March 2021, all artists will be notified in writing.
The nominees will be presented with their works of art at www.strabag-kunstforum.at.
Submission of original works
Optional data: Up to three photos (RGB, jpg) of exhibition views or details of the submitted artworks.
The online application process takes a while. The responsibility for completing the online application before the deadline is entirely the artists’.
All nominees must submit the three originals specified in the online application.
The submitted originals must be marked on the back and on the outside with the labels received by mail/post.
All submitted artworks must be packed in bubble wrap or cardboard rolls.
Submission of the artworks at the STRABAG offices in Prague/CZ, Budapest/HU, Pruszkow/PL, Bratislava/SK and Vienna/AT: Middle of April 2021
Transport of the artworks to the specific STRABAG building is at the artists‘ own costs and risks. A collective transport from the specific STRABAG offices to Vienna will be organized by STRABAG Kunstforum.
Further Information: https://www.strabag-kunstforum.at/artaward-en/application/